Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Dino Hoodie Rex
I’ve seen a bunch of cute tutorials on making these adorable dino-hoodies. I wasn’t able to find one that didn’t use felt or that didn’t cover the raw edges of the fabric. So I sort of made this up as I went along. Luckily, it turned out great.
I had purchased a plain grey hoodie for Baby Boy and wanted to dress it up, being that I was already inspired. My first “issue” I had to work out was the raw edges of my fabric. I used a cotton quilting fabric that I had in my scrap bin. I didn’t want to take the time to stitch the triangles, wrong-sides together and turn, then somehow figure out how to attach it to the hoodie, still hiding the raw edges, so I decided to use a quilt edging technique and made triangles from squares. This also created stiff triangles that didn’t need interfacing to stand up.
I measured the length of the hoodie from the front of the hood down to the bottom of the jacket for the “scales”. I used 4-inch squares and made twice as many as I would need (32/4=8). In hind-sight, I would have made a few more squares so that I could overlap the triangles. For the teeth, I measured the front of the hood (24”) and cut 12 - 2” squares from white cotton scrap fabric. To make the triangles, fold the square in half (wrong-sides together) on the diagonal as shown below:
Then fold it in half again to make the triangle shape:
Do this for all the squares and you will have scales and teeth with only one raw edge to deal with.
I stitched a line of triangles, raw edges to the center, along the center line of the hoodie from the top/front of the hood to the bottom of the hoodie. I placed the triangles right next to one another, but I would recommend overlapping them at least by the seam allowance. By doing so, you won’t have to deal with the tiny raw-edge corners in each of the “valleys” between the triangles. Lesson learned for next time.
Then I stitched another row of triangles along the first, being sure to match them up as much as possible.
To finish the scales, I folded the triangles together and stitched them together along the edges.
On to the teeth! My solution to hide the raw edges on the teeth was to use a double fold bias tape. I stitched the raw edges into the fold of the bias tape.
Then stitched the teeth to the inside of the hood. Super-easy!
Doesn't he look ADORABLE!!
Shared At: Creative Thursday, Blog Stalking Thursday, Creative Corner, The Bulletin Board, Make it Pretty Monday, Creative Mondays, The Weekly Creative, Mix it Up Monday, Must Try Monday, Marvelous Mondays, I Gotta Try That, Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Domestically Divine Tuesday, Teach Me Tuesdays, Tiny Tip Tuesdays,Trick Or Treat Tuesdays, Slowly Natural, Tip Me Tuesdays, Works for Me Wednesdays, Earning My Cape, Deep Roots at Home, Raising Homemakers, Show and Share Wednesdays, Growing Up Gabel, DIY Accomplished, Seven Alive, Homemaker by Choice, Friday Favorites, Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday, Petals to Picots, Friday Flair, Hodge Podge Friday, Nap Time Crafters, Let's Hear it for the Boys